Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hotel Plaza Athenee: Gracious Luxury




Sandwiched between the tres elegante Avenue Montaigne and the Eiffel Tower, Hotel Plaza Athenee happens to be a jewel amongst luxury hotels. The brochure states that I am in the best shopping area in the world. I have also been told by well-meaning friends and acquaintances that this king of five star hotels houses as many as five elegant restaurants. Walking past its swiveling doors, I catch the aroma of amber and beautiful, state-of-the-art lighting. The graciousness of the staff already makes me feel at home.

I walk into the Superior Suite Room refusing to hand my luggage over to the porter. It is a symphony in flame! The lovely corded curtains draping themselves elegantly over the large French window, the pillow covers, bed spread and the classical furnishings spill over with a warmth that I can only describe as evocative. One of the windows looks out into a tranquil courtyard. The noise of traffic or of TV from other rooms does not infiltrate here. It also makes me relaxed and meditative. There is a separate living room. I have some friends in Paris. I now want to invite them over, yeah… why not?

Wait! Didn’t they also inform me, while I was headed here at the epitome five star hotels, that it contains a luxury spa of the highest order? I glance at my watch, it’s only 8 am. Time enough for a shower and breakfast and then, a little later I’ll check out the spa.

Downing coffee and a cheese sandwich at Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée and basking in its magic and poetry I head out to the Dior Spa into its treatment room. The treatment is called ‘Just in time’, so the beautician informs me while going to work on my face. Later, I relax in the lounge room rather dreamily. Heaven sent, is what I call this king of luxury hotels.

No comments:

Post a Comment