Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sydney: A metropolitan gem




It is six am and I am staring out the window of my luxury five star hotel- the Clarion Suites Southern Cross Darling Harbor. Sipping a cup of coffee I am wondering if the monorail that will take me to Chinatown is running yet. Sue, who’d traveled with me up to Melbourne, had mentioned the exotic Asian food and condiments that this bustling spot in Sydney is home to.

I stare up at the rather sumptuous clock mounted on the wall of my one of the best luxury hotels. It reads seven o’clock. Too early for breakfast but not too early for a brisk morning walk. I head out towards the Darling Harbor and walked around Cockle Bay, the most recent addition to the harbor and renowned for its contemporary nautical design. I understand it plays host to some of the best classical music concerts in winter. My watch says 8. I head back to the luxury hotel for breakfast, a hasty affair comprising bacon and eggs.

The next thing I know is that I am sitting on this monorail and staring out at the busy streets, the harbor, and the CBD spread out below my feet.

Chinatown exists in the southern part of the city’s CBD in a place called Haymarket. It is like entering a different world altogether with street signs in both Mandarin and English. After spending a good half an hour at the flea market where I buy a bargain Levis jacket, I head back towards Cockle Bay, reading a book at a cafĂ© where I sip cold coffee and generally watch the world go by. I realize how much I am enjoying the sheer luxury of idleness. But only for a while. I put away my book as Sue’s words come back to me: “Don’t forget to visit the Sydney Aquarium. I am astounded by the sheer variety of aquatic life.

The next morning I have to head out to Bondi beach in another state. But that’s a different story altogether.

1 comment: