Friday, May 8, 2009

Athens: The acme of civilization




Alighting at Athens’ airport I fell silent for a while. “Penny for your thoughts!” Sue nudged me gently. I was in Athens, the home of Socrates, Sophocles, and Plato. This is where democracy, as we know it today, had taken root. This is where… I decided that if I continued to itemize each accomplishment and realization of this great city I would never get done for the next 24 hours, so I let it go.

A light drizzle cooled the skies as we reached our lodgings in the main city. Deciding against having our breakfast at one of the world's best hotels we checked into this dear little inn which served us the most delicious grilled lamb chops with bread. Sue, who loves learning new words, found out the chops were called paidakia.

Then, like all good tourists we rushed to see the Acropolis.
This celebrated point of significance never seems to lose its sheen. Not only is it an architectural masterpiece but also an acme of artistic expression. Among the most cherished memories of this great monument is the sunlight from behind pink floating clouds falling on the marble. I never regretted having left my camera behind as much as at that point. The Acropolis, like the city it inhabits, continues to re-invent itself. And in some truly amazing ways at that. I would give anything to view the Parthenon and the Temple of Nike once again.

Later in the day, we visited the 19th-century Hellenic Parliament and the famous Athens Trilogy comprising the Athens University, National Library of Greece, and the Academy of Athens.

The third day, our last, ended with a visit to the National Archaeological Museum, the repository of the world’s greatest Greek antiques. Sue also wanted to visit the Planetarium of Athens but there was no time.

And how can I forget my last meal at Athens? Fresh fried fish with rice in an open outdoor restaurant. Like everything in Athens this too was simply great.

No comments:

Post a Comment