Friday, July 31, 2009

Queenstown: A picture of adventure




For a remote town in lovely, pristine New Zealand Queenstown is sure a busy little place. It was here – billed by tourism booklets as the ‘adventure capital of the world’ – that I tried my hand at bungee jumping. To tell the truth, as the cords were being tied to my feet I couldn’t help feeling my heart stop near my throat. Sue went off into peals of laughter watching my semi-blanched face. Did I make it finally? I am happy to report that I did. Of course, Sue managed to jump more gracefully than I did off the Kawarau Bridge, the world’s first commercial bungee-jumping site.

Just walking about in the town was proving to be an eye-soothener. There were blue lakes, snow-capped mountains and green trees whichever way we turned. The air smelt delicious as we moved with our backpacks towards the Winnie Bagoes Gourmet Pizza Bar in the Mall. We were pleasantly surprised by the interiors- a massive bar, billiards tables, a cheerful fireplace and comfy chairs. Not like a pizza place at all, in a sense. The pizzas are thinly-crusted with a variety of toppings. I liked my mini Italian pizza while Sue raved about her smoked-chicken served with Brie and cranberry sauce.

One of the highlights of the trip was visiting Bob’s Peak on the cableway Skyline Gondola. Suspended atop the breathtaking beauty Lake Wakatipu we thought nothing could be better and then we beheld the Remarkable’ peaks. The blue-green mountains with their vanilla toppings were too riveting to the eye to be dismissed lightly.

Although we were tired out we still managed to make our way to one of the world’s best luxury hotels, hotel Novotel Gardens – on foot enjoying the scenery on the way. Close to some beautiful local gardens and well-manicured lawns, it is one of the most picturesque hotels in town. We were lucky enough to get a room on the ground floor with a walking trail right outside the door. The next morning we took a walk on the trail. That itself was an adventure in itself.

The place has my strongest recommendation

No comments:

Post a Comment